Once again, I've fallen victim to the "painting a whole unit at once" stigma so it took a long while to complete but it's finally done and here is the end result:
As you can clearly see, the colors of this squad are way different than what they did in the DV set. Initially, I wanted to paint them the same, but I took a look at what paints I had and decided to go with a more "renegade IG" - soldiery look. I used the same red scheme on the chaos icons but overall the whole squad looks very different.
To be honest, painting them was a big pain in the ass. The main reason for that is diversity. In a normal unit, most if not all of the models have the same color scheme so, although painful (for me at least), you get to pretty much just repeat exactly the same steps on each one and you're done. Here, you get 2 independent type guys, and 4 X 2 types of other guys which makes a total of 6 different types of guys so unless you want your unit to look like a unicolor blob, you're gonna have a rough time mixing it up.
My approach was to first do the skin, then pants, jackets, cloaks, boots, weapons, shoulderpads and finally details. For each category you need to think up a color + think how it will look with the other parts on the same model + how it will mach whatever combination you'll put on the other guys. Aaand you get 6 model types, GG. I took some shortcuts and for example made all the cloaks as well as the robes of the indep the same. Guns are also the same and so are the chaos symbol details.
Because of the different color variants, I won't go into details today, which went where. If you want to ask about those particulars feel free to use the comments. I will however tell you which parts I'm very happy about.
First is the blood. I finally managed to get my hands on Tamiya Clear Red paint. It's semi transparent, kind of thick and already look very nice on it's own. You put the outline of the blood blob with pure red and then add some badab black/nuln oil in the mix. That creates a really dark blood color which you apply partially onto the blob. Afterwards you coat the whole thing with gloss varnish and voila - very realistic looking blood effect. ME GUSTA.
Second little detail that I'm particularly happy about are the eyes on four guys - those rambo type dudes and those two with maces. It's very hard to paint irises well and make them menacly looking so I'm quite satisfied with the effect that I was able to acomplish. It's some truly clockwork scale stuff :)
There you have it, first cultist squad complete. Now I' have to soothe my psyche a bit and focus on a single model, which will obviously be the hellbrute. I've already prepped him for painting so, this time, it shouldn't be too long before the next blog update. My goal is to have him done by next tuesday, so that I have clear concience when MoP hits :)